Special Chili Con Carne
'Do you also do something with coffee beans and cocoa beans in your book?' my daughter asks for breakfast. That is a good question. I have to check whether coffee and cocoa beans and legumes are related to each other, because in that case: I love coffee and chocolate. Chili con carne is really such a classic that everyone ever makes. I make this version in my very special way, with chocolate and cinnamon. This yields intense flavors. Really such a dish that you can look forward to.
And if something remains, then it is pure luck to know a leftover in your fridge the next day.
What do you need? (4 persons)
- vegetable oil
- 300 g beef
- 1 tl paprika
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 250 g mushrooms, in slices
- 3 peppers, diced (all color combinations are fine)
- 1 small can of tomato paste (about 75g)
- 800 g dried kidney beans
- 400 g dried kidney beans
- 2 el chilli sauce
- 30 g extra pure chocolate (76% cocoa)
- 1½ tsp cinnamon1 tl ground cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- salt and freshly ground pepper
What are you going to do?
- Soak the kidney beans and kidney beans. View the exact weekly times here.
- Boil the kidney beans and kidney beans (separately) in clean water and cook them until about 1 ½ hour.
- Heat a good splash of oil in a frying pan. Fry the minced meat gently while you crush it with a ladle or fork to make it freeze. Sprinkle with salt, freshly ground pepper and the paprika powder.
- Add the onions and the celery, and fry them with the mushrooms. Then add the mushrooms and fry briefly.
- Now add the kidney beans, the kidney beans and the spicy chili sauce. Keep on well.
- Add the bell peppers and shovel. Let this 3 minutes fry and then add the tomato puree, which you will briefly fry to allow to deacidify.
- Now add the brown beans with the moisture and the kidney beans with the sauce. Keep on well.
- Break the chocolate into pieces and add it together with the cinnamon, cumin and chili powder. Keep on well.
- Put the pan on a small gas burner or on a flame distributor and let the chili gently simmer 30 minutes. Add some water if necessary.
- Taste and if necessary season with salt and pepper.
Left over? Cover an oven dish with the chili, divide it with tacochips, and sprinkle with spicy grated cheese. Place 15-20 minutes in an 180 degree oven. Tasty with guacamole and sour cream. Or make it a soup: puree part of the chili with (vegetable) broth and mix it with the non-mashed chili. Bring to the boil while stirring. With a cheese toast you have a tasty and fast meal.
Source: Joke Boon